Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Day 79 – Distance: 116.05 km
Somewhere on Hwy 100 to St. John’s, NL

How can I describe this day? An absolutely incredible roller coaster of emotions; the wind had me in tears at least twice. I was so determined that I wanted to finish today, and finally I did.

The day dawned with some overcast skies, and alas, wind. The weather report said “north winds gusting to 50 kph”. My old nemesis was not going to let me off the hook for the last day, not it!!! I was going to have to fight for my victory.

While Cam and I were driving back to where I had left off yesterday, I was very excited to receive a phone call from Mom and Dad, who are in Holland right now visiting relatives. That set me off on an emotional “high”. However, before I got to the TCH, I had my first bout of tears. It was such a constant struggle, between the hills and the wind. My knees were already hurting, and I had just started my day!

However, the TCH was in a more south east direction, and after I joined Cam (who had stopped for breakfast) for a hot chocolate and a piece of coconut cream pie, I had a slightly easier time (though not nearly as much as I had hoped). Unfortunately, I had to head north east again once I started on Hwy 90 and 60. I wanted to get to Holyrood for lunch, and did, but not until 1:30 p.m. However, that’s lunch time in Ontario, so I called Albert for some moral support, while eating my Mary Brown chicken. Then off I went again. I decided to take the Seal Cove road, which was spectacular for scenery, but set me off again emotionally when a gust of wind met me as soon as I got there. However, this time a granola bar got me going again and I persevered on.

Anyway, enough of all that nonsense. I got to the base of Hamilton Street (after Cornwall Street), and was at the harbour. As far as I was concerned, I was there! I started phoning relatives, and cried as I talked to each one (including Mom and Dad in Holland). It was 5:05 p.m. Newfoundland time.

Eventually I made my way around the corner to the townhouse at 47 Pleasant St., and Cam and I went to the Mile Zero marker for some photos (the rest we will do tomorrow). Then I cleaned up and we made our way to Gerald and Pat’s house, where I also got to meet their son Neil, and Pat’s brother Roger (my ferry hero), for an amazing celebratory supper of BBQ steak. One needs to celebrate a feat like this with friends, and new friends qualify very nicely.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jim Mintz said...

Hi Nynka
Congratulations! I am totally in awe.
Jim

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nynka, Pauline and Terry just cannot comprehnd what you have accomplished, especially the last day on your own. Amazing we were glad to be a small part of it. Congratulations.

3:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nynka,I cannot believe all you did, after reading your blog. It is just fantastic and I think you should write a book. A big CONGRATULATIONS, Joan & Jack

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home