Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Day 78 – Distance: 17.99 km
Placentia to somewhere on Hwy 100

I met Cam for breakfast – one of the best “bacon and egg” breakfasts I’ve had in a long time. Everything was hot and fresh, and cooked to perfection. We then set off for the Cape St. Mary Ecological Reserve for seabirds. The drive was through spectacular barrens with views of the ocean; the day was incredibly windy (gusts up to 90 kph). We walked along the trail, with the warning not to go too close to the cliffs, as “they didn’t want to lose anyone over the edge, because then they might have to put up railings, which in turn might affect the bird life, and they come first, people second”. I like their attitude. It was really fun battling the wind on foot; the day was sunny and cool, and the wind felt very invigorating. At this time of year, basically the only seabirds left are gannets, but they were there by the thousands, all roosting on a rock chimney rising from the sea.

By noon we were heading back to Argentia, this time being able to see the scenery we had missed the previous night, but the noise we had been hearing from the brakes was getting considerably more worrisome. So, having been told that Placentia had some good mechanics, we decided to check out the noise. The first mechanic put his finger in the wheel, said we needed new brake pads at the very least, but didn’t have time to do the job. We took it to another service station, where they were able to do the work right away, while we went and had lunch. Since Placentia is the same distance from Hwy 100 as the ferry dock is, we decided I would leave from there. However, it was already 2:30, scattered showers were happening by then, and the winds had definitely not subsided. I kept having to stop to put on or take off my rain gear, especially since there were some major hills to climb to get to the highway. I backtracked to the information booth to get some maps etc., and then continued on my way. I had hoped to get as far as the TransCanada highway #1; Cam was going to wait for me there. However, he had visited Castle Rock near Placentia while I biked, and he stopped on the way by to see how I was doing. Since it was already 4:00 p.m. by then, and we had to find our way to St. John’s to meet Pat Smith (Terry Rideout’s niece), I decided to hope for more favourable wind conditions the next day, and to get going by car for now.

We met Pat at the townhouse she and her husband Gerald are allowing us to use while we’re in St. John’s; it’s a charming Victorian style building within easy walking distance of Mile One stadium, city hall, and downtown St. John’s. Their tenants had left recently, and it was still vacant, so she and Gerald put furniture in it just for us; Pat also equipped it with dishes, food, and other essentials. We’re feeling truly spoiled; I cannot believe the efforts that have been made for us, complete strangers, and feel truly humbled and grateful. Pat had a specialty pizza in the oven for us, as “appetizer”, and then we went out to a local restaurant for some supper. After we came back, we went straight to bed, and I slept in the most comfortable bed I’ve been in since I left home in Orillia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home