Sunday, September 11, 2005

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Day 76 – Rest Day
North Sydney, NS

I saw the Northern Lights last night! I haven’t seen them for many years, and I don’t remember them ever being this spectacular (although no real colours other than pale green). I normally haven’t been getting up in the night, preferring to “hold it” until morning, but I had a big cup of tea around 8:00 last night, so was forced to. It was well worth it! I only had on a thin jacket over my t-shirt, so I couldn’t stay out too long, but what a treat.

We tried to sleep in a bit in the morning, but knew we had lots to do to get things organized, as to what we should take and what should be left behind. By the time we had a big breakfast, and things organized and the trailer taken down, it was about 2:30. Cam suggested going to Fortress Louisbourg for a visit and lunch, so that’s what we did. It’s quite a fascinating place, although of course one should have a full day to do it justice. However, we had a taste of period life in the 1740’s and also of pea soup and soldiers’ bread as it would have been served then. The soup was delicious – I wouldn’t extend that to the bread, although with cheese it might have been good. We passed some “authentic” Nova Scotia fishing villages as well, and hopefully got some good photos.

We came back to North Sydney and checked into the Clansman Motel around 6:30; we’ve asked for a wake up call at 3:30 (Cam) and 4:00 (me) in order to get down to the ferry docks by 5:00 a.m. How exciting! Now it’s off for dinner, then an early night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home