Thursday, September 08, 2005

Thursday, September 8, 2005

Day 73 – Distance: 139.94 km
Charlottetown, PEI to Antigonish, NS

So, am I in British Columbia or Nova Scotia? I kept asking myself that question as I worked my way up the hills (a couple of them were over 1 km long).

I got up quite early, and couldn’t eat much for breakfast because I was nervous about getting to the ferry on time. I knew I needed to get to the 11:00 a.m. one, or I wouldn’t have enough time to get to Antigonish, which was where we had decided we wanted to camp. I was on my way by 7:30 a.m., which turned out to be perfect, because I was at the ferry by 10:20 a.m. As long as I was headed east, the wind, which was from the south west again, was perfect, but of course the route to the Wood Islands ferry is also south, so I did have to fight the wind for quite a while. I guess I should be used to that by now. The ferry ride was great; I slept for much of it. Too bad to have to miss that lovely water on such a perfect, sunny day, but I figured I’m out in the sun enough, and I was tired from getting up so early. I did manage to get a picture of a lighthouse before we left the “ruby jewel” that is PEI; it’s famous for its lighthouses and I realized I hadn’t snapped a photo yet. Luckily there are several at the ferry landing.

The day was very warm, up to 26, - I hadn’t been using sunscreen for awhile, but I sure needed it again today. The scenery so far in Nova Scotia has been much like New Brunswick; lots of trees and hills - quite a contrast to the perfectly-kept-up homes and gardens of PEI. Cam passed me en route, as he had taken the 1:00 p.m. ferry; he stopped to offer me water etc. then went on his way. I was quite surprised to see him pulled up along the side of the road a few kilometers later – he was on the ground in process of repairing a flat on the trailer! I stayed to offer morale support (I’m not much good at fixing flats on cars), and we both managed to be on our way again by about 4:10. Unfortunately that meant I didn’t get into the campground until about 5:30, but since the weather forecast is for thunder showers tonight, and rain tomorrow, I wanted to get the distance in today.

We’ve just finished supper (9:30 p.m.), so I’m going to help clean up a bit, then be off to bed. Four more biking days left, if all goes according to plan!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home