Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Wednesday, September 7, 2005

Day 72 – Distance: 45.94 km
Charlottetown to Cavendish, PEI

We woke up to a fairly strong wind from the southwest; since it was a partial rest day, we got up relatively late. I actually wakened fairly early, and did my blog for yesterday, but that’s beside the point. Nory and Robin were up and about when I was going to start my breakfast, so they joined me, which was great. The sun was already fairly warm, so we could “eat out”. Cam wanted to tour Cavendish (not Green Gables, though), since he had never been to that part of the Island, so I set off about 10:00 a.m. to bike there, with the idea that he would join me, load up the bike, and then we would walk the dunes together. I was hoping for a good “make up the mileage” day, but unfortunately, my northwest direction didn’t allow that. The route was beautiful, but hilly, and I really struggled with the wind. However, by 1:30 I finally made it, and had lunch while I waited for Cam. He unfortunately had several errands to do in Charlottetown, so he didn’t leave until the time I got to Cavendish, plus he took a wrong road which gave him a beautiful scenic tour, but didn’t get him to Cavendish until 3:00 p.m. However, we finally got together, and really enjoyed walking the beach and dunes; it’s one of the prettiest spots on the Island, I think. We then headed back to Charlottetown to pick up some groceries, and then found a restaurant for supper. We both chose fishcakes (made with salt cod and PEI potatoes), and found them to our liking. Cam struck up a conversation with a couple from Florida, who were seated at a table next to us, and who were also going to Newfoundland. I think Cam has now convinced them they should travel the Alaska highway another year; he considers it, along with Newfoundland, to be Canada’s jewels. I’m just looking forward to seeing Newfoundland – hard to believe in a week I’ll be finished the cycling portion of my trip. Wow!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home