Friday, September 09, 2005

Friday, September 9, 2005

Day 74 – Distance: 105.21 km
Antigonish to Whycocomagh, NB

The manager at our campground in Antigonish told me Hwy 4 would likely be flatter, and nicer to bike on than Hwy 104, which I had taken the previous day – and in spite of not asking 3 people, I took his advice and was very glad of it. The morning dawned beautiful, with none of the rain that had been forecast, and the road was smooth with no traffic. I finally got to see some of the nicer aspects of Nova Scotia, and took the opportunity to take some photos. I also called Jean, because the road reminded me of some of the roads we took in Quebec. Just before I had to go back onto Hwy 104, there was a long, long hill (not too steep) of about 2 km; however, I noticed, from what I could see of the other highway, that it had many ups and downs that I had avoided.

Once on 104, I happened to look ahead, and thought, oh no, that’s going to be a really tough climb. Then I noticed I was on a lane going away from that hill, and that I was headed for the Canso Causeway. Yay! The hill was for another route, not mine! I got onto Hwy 105 into Cape Breton, and of course the road direction, and number of hills, changed. That meant, too, that the wind, which was strong enough to keep laundry which was hanging out to dry standing at attention, was often straight into my face. No wonder I keep obsessing about wind. However, by this time I only had about 30 km to go to get to our campsite, so I figured I could tough it out. Luckily, the road had a lovely smooth shoulder, and the last 10 km or so seemed to be more or less downhill. I got to our campsite by 2:30, as clouds were gathering overhead, just about ¾ of an hour before Cam. I didn’t mind, as I knew I could at least get under a shelter if it did start to rain. Fellow campers were very friendly, and several asked about my bike trip. It was great to be able to say “only 3 biking days left, if I’m lucky”.

When Cam arrived, he showed me what he had shopped for (after he got a new tire for his trailer), and the first thing he pulled out was a folding chair for me! Nice, hey? We had a lovely cup of tea, with cheese and baguette, after the camper was set up, and I got to sit in comfort.

Pray for no rain tomorrow – I really want to get to North Sydney with no problems, so we can organize for Newfoundland. We’ll be leaving the camper parked at a KOA campsite while we’re across the pond, and we have to figure out how to take what we need in the station wagon, which doesn’t have much room once my bike is inside. However, we’ll manage! I can hardly wait.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The chimera of Camino
I'll shamefully admit it, I am a browser junkie and just about all web browsers that are made for Mac OS X have made it, at a point or another, onto my computer.
Hello, nice little blog you have here, if you'd like a peek at my Adware Remover related site, feel free...if you likeAdware Remover stuff that is....

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home