Thursday, June 30, 2005

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Day 3 – Mileage: 63.22 km
Lake Errock, BC to Hope, BC

Well, I almost started the morning briskly – I put my bathing suit on, and got into the lake up to my knees, but decided that was enough – it was definitely a mountain lake and very cold. Adele then took some pictures of the bum tree (an interestingly-shaped cedar tree), and we proceeded to make our first meal at a campsite.

Biking was great today – wide shoulders, and great scenery. I’ve been loving the smells and sounds – whenever I smell cedar from now on I’ll think of BC, as the logging trucks go by, and all the sawmills along the rivers. It was a relatively short day, biking-wise, but I did get to climb a few hills. They were nothing like the ones that will be coming up, but good training. There was also a steep downhill, with maximum speed posted of 40 kph for vehicles, so I made sure I didn’t go any faster than that either! Adele found a bakery and brought me some treats for lunch, then we met again in Hope at 2:10. We had the bike loaded and DQ visited by 2:30, and headed back to Vancouver to check in at the Fairmont Airport Hotel, in preparation to pick up Monique. We were really looking forward to getting there early so we could enjoy the spa and other amenities, but alas, traffic was against us. We were tied up for at least an extra hour, and arrived only at 7:00 pm. Adele was able to take a quick whirlpool soak, as she was in major pain after all the driving and delays, then we walked to the arrivals area to meet Monique on her 8:13 plane. Everything went well, and after some BC champagne in our room, we went for some food and fun. I haven’t laughed so much in a long, long time. Monique is definitely good therapy.

By the way, my foot is feeling good; there’s a bit of stiffness in the mornings, which works out as the day progresses. Also, the new bike is great! I think I’m going at least 5 km per hour faster for the same amount of effort. It will take some time to get really used to the different body position; my neck and arms get much more of a workout this way. The fellow (Bruce Wenting?) at the bike store in Mission wondered if the handlebar stem (is that the right part name) was too long; he thought it might be and asked if my neck and shoulders were hurting. I told him I wasn’t familiar with the drops so had nothing to compare with, so I’m trusting Jay’s measurements at least for now. I told Bruce (if that’s who I was talking to) that I would consider his advice, and if I was hurting in Calgary I’d consider changing it. My saddle seems to be softening to my shape nicely, as I haven’t had too many saddle sores yet. Of course, I haven’t put in super long days or efforts yet, so that could all change.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go, Nynka!
Careful where you sit, Adel!

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home