Monday, June 27, 2005

Monday, June 27, 2005

Well, it’s the day before the biking adventure really begins, and last minute nerves and preparations are both underway.

Breakfast at Ashcroft House Bed & Breakfast, on Battery Street, Vicftoria BC (just a little plug for our host and hostess) really was sumptuous. As well as warm, homemade muffins and breads, fresh fruits, and great granola, Paulann made a quiche that was loaded with various cheeses, on a grated potato base. This was served with bacon and tomato. We’ve been promised waffles for the send off breakfast. If any of you are ever in Victoria, I highly recommend this place. It’s also within an easy walking distance of Mile 0, which is at the base of Douglas Street, Victoria, and from where I’ll be starting my trip.

The rest of the day was basically spent reorganizing the van to suit two women (three soon), and to get the biking needs out. We also found a great bike store, recommended by the shop owner in Steveston (part of Richmond BC), where I was able to purchase an aero bar modification that will allow my computer to be turned towards me, and a mirror for the end of the drop bar. This may not be the ideal mirror either, simply because the drops are so far down, but every bit helps. I’ll see how it works when I start biking Tuesday. The staff member who installed everything, very cheerfully I might add, was also able to put the light that Nory had bought me onto the handlebar, so I felt the whole expedition was very worthwhile. He even phoned a bike shop in Mission, BC, to see if they could get a bright yellow cover for the back rack pack I’ll be using, so I’ll be extra visible in the rain. I do have a black cover, which I’ve made brighter with fluorescent tape, but I’d still love a bright colour. Anything I can do to be seen!

We ended the day looking for a Shoppers Drug Mart that was open (none were; Victoria streets roll up early), and a quick supper at McDonalds! Then we headed back to the B & B for some champagne, and a bath in the extra large tub in our suite. There were still some things to be done, but I knew I’d be awake early, so I figured I could do them in the morning (which is when I’m actually writing up this blog entry).

Wish me luck – I’m on my way.

Love,
Nynka

1 Comments:

Blogger Jim Mintz said...

Hi Nynka. Its Canada Day and I'm thinking of you and remembering past Canada Days. Hope everything is going well. I know you can't answer all of your mail, and that's okay; just know that I am with you in spirit.
jim

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home