Thursday, June 23, 2005

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Today is a sad day for the Greer family, as it marks the first anniversary of their mother’s passing. Albert connected by phone with his sister Virginia, which was good for his soul.

After breakfast in Jasper, we headed to the Columbia Icefield, and enjoyed a tour of the Athabasca Glacier on a Brewster Snocoach. We then headed back toward Lake Louise, at times through a blizzard, where we connected again with highway #1 west. This allowed me to see some of the route Monique and I will be tackling. Sorry, Monique – I know I’m not supposed to be analyzing the shoulders etc. Suffice it to say we have our work cut out for us. I believe I’ll be taking the Iron Lady character back out of her closet for this portion of the trip. We may also decide walking shoes should be included in our panniers for awhile. The BC mountains are spectacular, but the passes are long!

I’ll take a minute now to mention the wildlife we have seen so far. Yesterday we saw two mountain goats, drinking from tiny cracks in the asphalt at Minnewanka Lake. We also saw a deer and her fawn (we have actually seen several deer en route). Today we have seen three bighorn sheep, and another deer alongside the highway. We also passed beautiful swaths of lupines. I’m interested to note how different the Indian paintbrush is from our Devil’s paintbrush.

Other notes: my left leg is feeling stiff from the exercise it had yesterday, but otherwise no ill effects. Also, I didn’t even bother turning on my phone since we have had so little service. Rogers has a long way to go to live up to their promises!

We ended the day in Kelowna, in a beautiful campsite right on Okanagan Lake. The temperature was balmy, so we got some take out to eat at our campsite. The evening ended at a communal campfire with the other campers (our sites were very close together). We were parked next to a couple from Germany; their English was very good, but I wished Adele was with me already so she could converse easily with them. They love Canada, and are even considering applying to immigrate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home