Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Wednesday June 29, 2005

Day 2 - Mileage: 78.45 km
Maryhill Bypass & Broadview, Vancouver to Lake Errock, BC

We were up at 7:30, but still got off to a slow start. Because it had been so late the night before, we had had no time to organize ourselves. My sleep had been somewhat fitful, as I kept thinking of traffic, and some of the less than ideal biking conditions I had gone through during the day. However, we finally managed to get out of the site, and back into Maple Ridge for some breakfast. Then we drove back to the place I left off the day before, and I loaded up and started out. Traffic was still heavy, but not so bad since the highway had a good shoulder. I did walk across the bridge over the Pitt River, as there was no shoulder to speak of, but then carried on. A little later, however, the shoulder disappeared, and biking was less than ideal again. However, I carried on, until I got back to Maple Ridge, at which point I noticed a sign to Mission going off to the right. I was worried that Adele might not notice it, so I tried calling her. No answer. I went a little further and tried again – same result. I kept going until Hwy 7, and tried again. This time I got her; she had been doing a bit of shopping. I gave her my location, and waited. And waited. I thought to myself, “this trip was supposed to give me a chance to find out who I really am, but I don’t need this. I already knew I’m impatient!” I phoned her again, and this time we connected properly, and she was with me within minutes. We took a nice long break, then were able to designate a meeting spot, since I knew there might be a rain cover for my bike bag waiting for me at the local bike store, Wenting Cycle. We had an address, so we arranged to meet there.

At Wenting Cycles there was indeed a cover waiting for me. I also bought a bear bell (to let the bear know dinner is ready), and a new tire pump. The gentleman who helped me explained my pump was more suited for mountain bike tires, and it was extremely difficult to get more than 40 or 50 psi with that type. That explains why I couldn’t get enough air in yesterday! My new one has a little foot pedal and works more like the regular pumps, so I’m very pleased. I also asked him about biking the Coquihalla Pass versus going the Fraser Canyon Route, and he very emphatically said I should NOT do the Coquihalla Pass route, as it is not biker friendly, there are no rest stops, and traffic is very fast. So, that ends that quandary – we’ll follow the Fraser Canyon route.

Someone at the bike shop also kindly gave us the name of a campsite at Lake Errock, so we arranged to meet there. It’s not the best maintained campsite I’ve ever been in, but the view over the lake, with mountains surrounding us, is spectacular. There’s a train track on the other side of the lake, which is about 750 metres across at this point, so I think a sleeping pill and some ear plugs will be the order of the day (night) tonight.

The biking conditions after we left Mission have improved as well. The shoulders are not great, and it is still a highway, but traffic lessened considerably, and I was actually able to relax and enjoy the scenery occasionally.

I’m off to get ready for bed now, so good night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home