Friday, June 17, 2005

Friday, June 17, 2005

Friday, June 17, 2005

We started the day in rain, although not heavy, so we left our lovely campsite in River Park Campground, Moosejaw, and headed out. We loved Saskatchewan; its vastness, and incredible skyscape were awe-inspiring. No wonder its motto is “Land of the living sky”. The country is anything but flat, and we enjoyed the changing scenery including horse farms, oil rigs, a bison ranch, and a few bikers heading into a strong headwind.

After reaching Alberta, we stopped at Brooks, where we got directions to the Dinosaur Provincial Park. What an incredible place! It’s located in the Alberta badlands, and we had no idea such a place existed. We were a bit late to take the last bus tour, but caught up to the group, and were allowed to participate at each stop. The thought of viewing land that was “on the surface” 74-77 million years ago, with dinosaurs roaming freely, is incredible. I can’t really describe it; all I can suggest is that you make every effort to see if you ever have a chance.

Albert was able to contact friends he made in Cuba, who live in Airdrie near Calgary. We are en route there now, and will join them for supper. We are also thankful that they have invited us to spend the night at their house, as it is currently teeming with rain. We are driving through one of the areas that is under a storm watch; we felt fortunate that the golf-ball sized hail that hit Medicine Hat this afternoon waited until we had left it! All I can say is, I hope this isn’t a sample of what is to come this summer, but that the weather will revert to more normal conditions by July.

I’m finishing this log Saturday morning, after having spent a wonderful night in a comfortable bed, and being glad that we didn’t have to negotiate our way to washrooms through major puddles. Instead of going out into the rain again, Dick and June Buchanan, our hosts, ordered Chinese food takeout, which was much more relaxing, especially with the good Scotch we were offered before dinner.

The flooding is continuing in surrounding areas here in Alberta. I feel very badly for the people who are having to deal with it. Hopefully things will dry up in time for crops to grow for the summer.

I’m using June and Dick’s internet connection this morning. This has been my first chance to get things posted onto my blog, and I’m delighted at how well it has worked. Hopefully I’ll be able to figure things out equally well at internet cafes and libraries, where I won’t feel as “at home” as I do in June’s hideaway computer room. I don’t have my camera cables in the house with me, unfortunately, so I haven’t had a chance to do photos yet. Maybe next time!

Lotsa love,
Nynka

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home