Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

After a sumptuous breakfast prepared by Patti, we drove off into a beautiful, sunny day. We made our first stop (after buying gas and a Tim’s coffee) within half an hour at the spectacular Kakabeka Falls. The well-maintained walkways brought us very close to the top of the Falls, and it was thrilling to hear/feel the thundering roar of the brown waters cascading over the slate rock. I thought of my canoeing and kayaking friends as we drove away, and I saw the rapids on the other side of the highway. I also wondered what the original explorers and natives would have thought as they first saw this wonder. I surely hope they sent a scout ahead on foot before taking any kind of canoe over the waters! Otherwise – quelle surprise!

I’m typing as Albert is driving, and the route today is, happily, much flatter. However, still no cell phone service! This is most annoying! I had checked before buying my new phone to make sure there would be adequate coverage, and all salespeople assured me 90% or more of my proposed route would be fine. Think again, people.

We’re riding on new pavement right now, which is also making me feel better, as we went through a lot of construction yesterday. I guess when I get here in August, I’ll take it as a reprieve and chance to gear up for the week ahead. On the other hand, we just passed a small black bear which crossed the highway behind us. Albert bought a noisemaker device which is supposed to help scare bears away, but I think maybe I’d better get some spray as well, just in case…

I’m at day’s end now. We continued to enjoy the relatively flat, lovely scenery to Kenora, where we joined Eric Closs, a BDO employee who crossed Canada in 2003, and who has been a source of inspiration and advice, including giving me his route, for supper. It was the first time we actually met, and I felt we bonded instantly. He was full of encouragement too, in spite of my cast.

We are now in Manitoba, poor, soggy, mosquito-ridden Manitoba! We’ve passed lots of flooded areas, and the campsite where Albert reserved a space is very wet. This will put quite a damper on the tourism industry for awhile at least. We’ve covered ourselves with Deep-Woods Off, and are going to have to do a major foot-washing before getting into bed. It’s still light (we’ve gained an hour), but I’m still on “old time”, so I’m going to sign off, and start getting things ready.