Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

We got up at the very civilized hour of 7:00 a.m., and I discovered why I might yet have to get my hair cut before the trip is out. The shower was fine, but not like ours at home! Oh well, we’ll see. We pulled out of the site about 8:40 and went to “Bobbers” in Bruce Mines for a lovely breakfast. Scenery is getting better all the time, as we started seeing more of Lake Huron and all the rock of the Canadian Shield. As the day progressed, however, I realized more and more what others meant when they said the climbs around Thunder Bay are worse than in the Rockies. My goodness! I tried not to think too much what cycling in August will be like, and am certainly hoping I will be in good shape by then. We also found that there is no cell phone service between Bruce Mines and Thunder Bay. This is a bit of a disaster, as Adele and I planned to keep in touch by phone. I guess we’ll be playing leap frog for at least a week. The afternoon turned rainy and windy, and I was glad not to be biking. We did see at least 10 bikers going east, all fully loaded, and I wondered if they were going the full distance. They would have started in early to mid-May to be this far already, but that of course is entirely possible. In many ways, it would have been nice to be this far already, as the summer traffic hasn’t started yet. It was also interesting to think that though we saw them all on the same day, in actual fact they were several days apart, by biking time.

We arrived at our hosts’, Jim and Patti Whicher, home at about 7:00 and were treated royally. Thanks, Jim and Patti.

0 Comments:

<< Home