Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Sticks and Stones

Yes, indeed, the crazy lady has done it again!

I was paying my last "nostalgia" visit to my parents' home (affectionately known as "the farm", even though they stopped farming it years ago) on Sunday, and doing a wander through the woods where I used to play as a child etc. I left the woods and was walking (more quickly than I should have, obviously) along the trails nearby, and went over on my foot over a root or rock or something. I managed to hobble back part way, and since I had my cell phone with me, I phoned Dad to come pick me up with his car. I went to see my doctor on Monday, who sent me for an X-ray "just in case" and sure enough, I have an "undisplaced fracture at the base of the 5th metatarsal". I guess the good news, if you could call it that, is that I should be able to ride in 3 weeks. Evidently riding is better than walking in this case. Monique (my biking companion for the month of July) is also a medical doctor, and strongly suggests I keep a cast on, and the foot as immobile as possible for the first 10-14 days, to give the bones as much chance as possible to knit properly. She reminded me that bones don't heal as quickly at my age as they once would have - thanks, kid! Anyway, I will try to heed her advice. The air cast I have now is a bit big for me, and she is couriering one that she used a few years ago to me.

Unfortunately this means I won't even be able to try out my new bike when I get it! I hope to go down to Guelph on Friday afternoon to pick it up. Jay Filer has been working into the wee hours of some mornings in order to get it ready on time for me, and I'm looking forward to seeing it, even if I can't ride it yet.

On a happier note, the van is almost outfitted - I just have to fit mosquito netting to the side windows. Hopefully the sticky-backed velcro will hold. Then I can start concentrating on all the other stuff I have to pack and organize. It will definitely be good to be on our way by next Monday; I'm going to need the rest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home