Thursday, June 16, 2005

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Thursday, June 16, 2005

We woke up to more mosquitoes, after a fairly cool night (no problem thanks to a nice warm sleeping bag), so we showered and left. We sampled a truck stop breakfast (eggs etc for Albert and a toasted cinnamon bun for me – no calories there!) at a Husky station in Headingley, Manitoba, bypassing Winnipeg. The route was very flat and uneventful, so after we got to the Saskatchewan border, we decided to take a scenic route, which led to the bike route I will potentially be taking. That route is very lovely, through farm country and the Qu’Apelle Valley. It is not, however, totally flat! However, it may well be desirable to get away from traffic and experience “real” Canada.

After bypassing Regina, we went to Moose Jaw, where we made a few more purchases of the things we forgot or needed, then we drove out to rediscover Tilney Station, where Albert’s mother spent her childhood to age fifteen, approximately. Albert now owes me a major bike wash, as we had to travel over a very dusty country road to get there… I think we will look up a bike shop in Calgary to make sure things are cleaned properly, as I don’t want to start the trip with problems. We ended the day with a supper of Chinese food – interesting how different it tastes, depending on where you buy it. There’s a big sidewalk sale event happening in downtown Moose Jaw, but unfortunately my broken foot prevented me from taking full advantage of it. I read in the paper we could have bought perogies from street vendors, but I didn’t read that until we had finished supper. Maybe we’ll find a restaurant that features them on the menu before we finish this adventure.
We’ve lost another hour, so even though it’s only 9:15, it feels like bedtime, so I’ll sign off for another day. At least I was able to use my cell phone today, after we got to Saskatchewan.

(Note: it appears that Manitoba cell phone problems may have been temporary only; I surely
hope so!)