Thursday, September 15, 2005

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Day 80 – Distance: 4.7 km
Wheel Dipping and Signal Hill Climb

Today was a day to revel in success, and experience St. John’s, thanks to Gerry’s chauffeuring and tour guiding. The first part of the morning consisted of getting blog updates ready, because I hoped I would have an opportunity some time during the day to let everyone know I had made it. Around 10:00 a.m., Gerry phoned to say he had arranged a photo op with the mayor of St. John’s, Andy Wells! By 11:00 a.m. we were in his office; I very much enjoyed meeting him, and really appreciated the few minutes he spent chatting. We then met the city clerk, who gave me a great coffee table book about St. John’s. Next on the agenda was having some traditional Newfoundland food for lunch, including cod au gratin, cods’ tongues, cod cakes and baked beans, at a lovely little restaurant in Portugal Cove. We were at a ferry crossing over to Bell Island, where Pat taught at one time; she had some great stories to tell about not being able to get over to school (or home) due to bad weather conditions.

Next was a visit to the school where Pat teaches, Roncalli Elementary School. Here I made a presentation to two classes of grade 5 students about my trip, followed by a question period. I’m afraid my presentation kind of jumped all over the place (I need some of Pat’s lessons too), but the kids didn’t seem to mind. I had my bike and gear with me; they were especially interested in the bike and shoes.

Next came the photo ops! We went back to the townhouse to get me geared up, and then I cycled to Harbourside Park, where there is a floating dock. I carefully lowered my front wheel into the water, but of course couldn’t get in myself. Then I started my climb up Signal Hill. I had to stop a few times, especially after the first leg, which is a very steep, fairly long section, in order to get the heart rate back down. However, I made it and was very proud of myself. As luck would have it, when I was at the top, Mom phoned from Holland. Fortunately the signal was great!

Gerry drove us to Cape Spear next, just so we could say we’ve been at the eastern most tip of Canada. It would have been a challenging bike ride for me, and I was glad to be in a vehicle instead. On our way back, Gerry found a place where I could get myself and bike into the Atlantic Ocean, so those are the photos I’ve blogged.

Gerry took me to his office so I could use the internet there, and there was another treat in store. He’s COO of Brookdale Dairies, which makes all manner of ice cream bars and other frozen treats for companies such as Zehrs, Costco etc. He took me upstairs to see the production of chocolate and almond covered ice cream bars – I felt like Charlie in the Chocolate Factory. I had to call Nory later that night to gloat – she would have loved it too.

Cam and I ended our last evening in St. John’s with a dinner at the Celtic Hearth – a nice place that looked like it had been in business for years, but in fact opened last December. I didn’t get officially “screeched”, which was a bit disappointing, but I was exhausted after everything we had done during the day, so I guess cod-kissing will have to wait until next year.

If any of you have a chance to visit St. John’s, snap it up. It’s an amazing city, totally different from any I’ve visited before. The colours of the buildings are incredible, and the whole city is set on hills – some very steep! I’m looking forward to coming back next year with Albert so I can do some of the walking tours; I think that would be a much better way of getting around than by bike (see, I’m still nervous of hills – when am I going to get over that? J)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home