Friday, September 16, 2005

Friday, September 16, 2005

St. John’s to Grand Falls-Windsor, NF
Drive Home Day 1

We spent the morning cleaning up (I tried not to leave the place any less immaculate than it was when we arrived; our host and hostess had already done far too much for us), shopping for a few last gifts and souvenirs, and looking into tire problems (“I guess ya must be losing air on rotation, then b’ye”). Thus, we did not leave St. John’s until after noon, and didn’t get to Grand Falls-Windsor until 7:00 p.m. This was unfortunate, because I found out after I got there that Jack Sweeney (Terry Rideout’s sister’s husband) is an avid cyclist, and I missed going out on a good ride with him. However, we thoroughly enjoyed visiting with Joan, who served up a wonderful “cold plate” supper, including potato salad made with beets. I hadn’t had that since Pauline brought some to a potluck supper (actually, I did try to make it once after that, but it wasn’t as good as hers). We also had cod au gratin – another recipe I’ll have to get. Jack and Joan were disappointed that we didn’t have time to see any of the Grand Falls attractions, but I was just as happy to get to know them – we’ll try to see the Falls next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home