Friday, September 02, 2005

Friday, September 2, 2005

Day 67 – Distance: 167.16 km
Gagetown to Grand-Barachois, NB

Cam was determined that I should be able to start biking by my usual time, so he got up at 5:30 a.m. to get himself ready for the drive back to Gagetown. My head felt a bit dizzy when I sat up at 6:10, so I settled back down for a few more minutes. We were on the road by 7:10, however, stopping at Tim’s for my breakfast of muffin and French vanilla – nutritious, hey?

It was another perfect wind-in-the-back day, although it wasn’t quite as strong as the day before. I stayed on Hwy 2, enjoying the wide shoulders and relatively little traffic. The scenery wasn’t great, just bushes mostly, along with some creeks and ponds, but that was okay – I was on a mission to make it to Grand-Barachois if at all possible. I knew I had to get to the other side of Moncton at least, since the roads around Magnetic Hill were going to be closed tomorrow for the Rolling Stones concert. With perseverance, and a little visit from Monique near that site, I made it! I finally saw a glimpse of salt water by 3:20, and pulled into her driveway at 4:10. It felt so good – I’ve been thinking of this Labour Day weekend here since I started the trip. Nory and Robin will be joining us Sunday afternoon, and since I’m here already, I actually get 3 days off! It feels like a real holiday. This is one of the greatest spots in Canada – overlooking the Northumberland Strait; on a clear day you can see, not forever, but at least PEI.

Monique poured a beer for me, and two minutes later the phone rang; Cam had arrived at the corner where Monique had said she would meet him to lead him to her house. Perfect timing again. We figured out where to put the camper, but relaxed for a while first before getting to that job. We had a great evening with a steak barbeque (better steaks than in Alberta…) and too much wine. I paid for that during the night, but it was worth it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home