Thursday, September 01, 2005

Thursday, September 1, 2005

Day 66 – Distance: 105.57 km
Pokiok to Gagetown, NB

Well, Cam had to deal with Katrina during the night while I slept (sort of). He decided the wind was too strong for the awning, so was in process in taking it down when the wind caught one of the braces and snapped it. Then he thought he should lower the ceiling vent, but again the wind caught it first and broke the hinge. Red Green would have been proud of the plastic sheet and duct tape that came to the rescue to catch the rain that subsequently fell. I heard some noises and wondered why he didn’t just go to bed, but I didn’t poke my head out from behind my curtain to find out what was going on. I had asked him the night before if the camper was okay in this kind of wind and he assured me it was, so I took him at his word and didn’t worry.

In the morning I could still heard wind and rain, and knew biking was out of the question for a while at least, so I went back to sleep. I was still tired from the hills from Hartland to Woodstock, so didn’t mind the enforced rest time. By 9:00 a.m. things had started to clear quite a bit and Cam went across the road from the campground to an RV sales and service business which happened to be conveniently located there. The owner came right over, and took away the broken parts. By noon, while Cam drove me back to where I had left off the day before, the camper was repaired.

By 12:25 I was biking again, only this time the wind was in my back, the shoulders were great, and the hills, though long in some cases, were very doable. I was back at the campsite by 2:35, having completed 53 km. I put out a few wet things to dry, then headed off again (Cam having agreed to pick me up about 5:30 p.m.) I missed the turnoff for the secondary road I had intended to take out of Fredericton, and so ended up on Hwy 7 and 2 (both major), but it was great. The shoulders were a full lane wide, and I was able to make very good time, making up for at least half of the distance I had lost due to the rain Wednesday.

I didn’t dare go further than Gagetown, because there was a good interchange so Cam could pick me up easily there, plus he had to drive me back again in the morning, and I didn’t want to make things too difficult! After he picked me up, I changed at a service station (where he also managed to get gas at $1.19/litre; Albert had told me in Orillia it was up to $1.28), then we headed into Fredericton to see a few of the sights and have supper. It really is a lovely city, and worth another visit for sure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home